Tuesday 23 August 2011

OMG!

So I have something to tell you!
Foo and I are going to be parents!
                                        
OMG….. We are so excited! Let me tell you the story.

We had heard stories of a local couple going through the process of surrogacy in India. When you are trying to have a baby, many people try to tell you that they know of a faster, easier way to get a baby…because they know someone who did. I always felt like saying…”don’t you think I’ve researched everything I possibly could and if that was the case then I would have done that instead of countless IVF cycles?” So when I heard of Candice and Mick’s story , I wasn’t convinced.
We had googled “surrogacy in India” a little over the last few months so we had a good idea of how it worked. Now it was time to get serious. The day after we found out our final IVF cycle didn’t work, I emailed Dr Kadam at Corion Fertility Clinic in Mumbai and waited for a reply.
I also emailed Candice (what the heck, maybe it was true!) and she replied almost immediately, she has been a fabulous help and I can’t thank her enough! The biggest tip she has given me is that Indian people work on Indian time! Expect to wait……I can do that …the last 9 years of my life has been about waiting.

A reply came through within a couple of days. It was a fairly generic reply and indicated that we needed a letter from our Doctor stating our fertility history and that Surrogacy was our only option.  Panic set in….. I was never going to get a Doctor here to do that for us. I sent Dr K our full fertility history and then waited again for a reply. I was nervous that this wasn’t going to be an option for us and then where did that leave us….
A reply came through a few days later indicating that they could certainly help us. Hooray!!!!!!
We weren’t going to waste any time thinking about it, we had to do it before any thing changed and it wasn’t an option.
                                               
Rach was still willing to do whatever it took to help us and offered to donate her eggs in India for an attempt at surrogacy. I was feeling so grateful but uneasy about this as she had done so much for us already. I emailed Dr K to see if this was an option and she advised us that it would not be a good option for us to take given our history, ages and failed attempts with Rach’s eggs.

Our next step was to decide if we would send our one little frozen Embryo to India with the hope of transferring it to a surrogate.   We knew that we didn’t have many more attempts left in us and we had to give ourselves the best possible chance of having a baby. The risk of attempting to use one embryo is that it may not survive the thaw and we have nothing to transfer.

This decision was heart wrenching for me and it makes me teary just thinking about it. I know what Rach had to go through to create this precious gift and how much she really wanted to be the one to help us. We had 2 choices, we could attempt to use the embryo with little chance of success or we could use an Indian egg donor with a very high chance of success.

 



3 comments:

Jemma said...

Awwww..... Very cute Mummy! 9 years and it's finally happened, yay! Congrats for the millionth time xx

Tenille said...

woohoo, that is the bests news ever, congrats again xx I don't know of a more deserving couple xx

Shai said...

Ang I absolutely love reading your blogs and am so thrilled for you and Foo - this is really fabulous news for two truely deserving people - what lucky little babies they are xx