Friday 10 June 2011

The diagnosis

“......T-shaped Uterus with septum, Long cervix with two tracks one leading to uterus and one ending in blind, presence of endometriosis, left ovary adhered to pelvic wall, dye spurting from tear in uterus...”   Oh my god, Foo’s head was about to spin off it’s axis!

Dr Loftus was still positive he could help us, his exact words were “We shouldn’t have a too much trouble getting you pregnant, however, you may have a problem carrying a baby due to the shape of your uterus, this condition can result in several miscarriages before reaching full-term”

Not exactly the results we had hoped for.
I can’t really remember how I felt back then, I think I always had a feeling this wasn’t going to come as easy to me as it does to most.

Bring on IVF cycle number one:

5 Embryos, 100% fertilization rate, 1x  A-grade embryo transferred and 4 Frosties. Sounds awesome right? I felt bloated, tired and excited at the same time. Self injecting luckily wasn’t a problem for me, the same can’t be said for Foo, he couldn’t watch me even remove the syringe from the packaging. Yeah, yeah I know..poor Foo.
I remember the trip back home after our embryo transfer, we were thinking “this is easy I don’t know what the big deal is and why people don’t just keep going until they get pregnant”...these words have come back to haunt us many a time over.

8 cell embryo ( 3 days old )

Our beautiful Squibbie family was over on holidays at the time. Mandurah is a beautiful place to live, feels like you are on holiday every day of the week....that is unless you have to make the hour drive to Perth to work for the day.
Everyone was joining in the excitement, including Uncle Nige, his highlight I’m sure was his first nursing duty injecting a 2 inch needle into my butt. Thanks Uncle Nige x

The Squibbies xx

I felt pregnant. That 2 week wait to find out is excruciating.

“No , I’m sorry you are not pregnant.”
“I have pain...”
“Yes, you may be pregnant.”
“More pain and nausea.”
“No, you are not pregnant”.
“You have an infection.”
“Do something!”

4 weeks later I am back in surgery.

The day of surgery was a long one. Foo remembers sitting in the hospital room overlooking the Swan River with his form guide and the races on TV all day. He was getting used to this hospital stuff.  It was 3pm and I hadn’t eaten since 8pm the night before, I was starving and you all know that is not a good look on me!!

It was a relief to finally be wheeled away to the operating room.

That relief soon disappeared as we received the results of my surgery:

“.......we had to remove the other fallopian tube...ectopic pregnancy”

Are you serious? .. I knew what that meant straight away. No fallopian tubes =  no midnight rendezvous for my eggs and Foo’s sperm.

The news hit Foo pretty hard on the way home from the hospital late at night

My reality is that I can’t make babies.  No racy lingerie, knee trembling sex or relaxing island getaway is going to change that.

No comments: